Treasures of Georgia
Optional activities for today:
• Dinner in a local restaurant with entertainment program – Georgian folk-show. It will be your first acquaintance with the famous Georgian cuisine. Round-trip transfer included.
• Traditional Georgian Sulfur Bath. We will make reservation for you and arrange transfers.
One of the highlights of the day is a visit to Narikala – the capital’s ancient fortress, where the stunning views over the city will open out before you. You’ll be whisked to the top in a cable car and after your visit will wander down by foot through the narrow and historic streets of the Old Town, among them the newly renovated Shardeni kucha – the street which never sleeps, and one of Tbilisi’s nighttime hot spots.
After the city tour, you’ll be ready for lunch. Your guide will be happy to recommend a local restaurant so you can try some Georgian dishes (lunch may be booked in advance – USD 15 PP) or you are free to find your own spot if you prefer.
In the afternoon you’ll visit a beautiful and historic suburb of Tbilisi, Mtskheta – the old, legendary capital of Georgia, just 20km from the city center. The historic capital of Eastern Georgia (Kartli) and set at the confluence of the Mtkvari and Aragvi Rivers, Mtskheta has remained at the spiritual heart of Georgia since Christianity was established. The Svetitskhoveli cathedral remains at the center of the Orthodox church and has inspired many Georgian poets and artists over the years. Legend has it that a seamless robe of Christ’s is buried somewhere within the temple and you’ll find fragments of paintings dating back to the 11th century, including one depicting a hand which stories tell is the hand of the cathedrals architect which king Giorgi amputated to stop him making another cathedral as beautiful as Svetitskhoveli.
Afterwards you’ll visit Jvari Monastery (Monastery of the Cross), previously a pagan temple and latterly turned into Christian church. Perched on a windblown, rocky promontory, take some time to enjoy the exceptional scenery and take some photos of this amazing UNESCO world heritage listed structure. In the evening return to the hotel and spend the evening exploring the city on your own.
Optional tours/activities for today:
• Visit to the peasant family near Mtskheta. The tour includes degustation of the locally produced wine (aimed for the export). Additionally, we may include the dinner with the family during this tour and master classes of cooking Georgian cuisine.
• Tour to the National Museum of Georgia. See the treasury of ancient Georgian Kingdoms, Soviet Occupation exposition and other significant historical artefacts.
• Tour to the Ethnographical Museum. Open-air museum where you can see the authentic Georgian houses.
• Dinner with traditional Georgian dishes, wine and national show program (Georgian dances and songs). Round-trip transfer included.
After visiting Uplistsikhe we will drive to the resort town of Borjomi. Borjomi is an incredibly beautiful place, located in a lush valley of the Mtkvari River and famous for its spring water and Romanov Summer palace, Likani. Here you will visit the famous Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park where you can taste real Borjomi water right from the spring. The water became popular in the 19th century when Tsarist soldiers discovered the springs and spread word of their health-giving properties. Nowadays the salty, fizzy spring water divides opinion, but remains one of Georgia’s most famous exports. After the tour return back to Tbilisi for overnight.
After the tour of Signagi, we’ll visit one of the traditional, authentic wineries of Kakheti where you will discover more about the traditional methods of wine making in Georgia, and perhaps sample a bottle or two. Return to Tbilisi after the tour.
Later on we will visit the pride of many Georgians – the ski resort Gudauri, located at an altitude of 2195m. With kilometers of ski runs, the cheapest ski passes in Europe and sun drenched south facing slopes the resort offers fabulous terrain for beginners and advanced skiers alike. In summer hiking, horse riding, birdwatching and climbing are some of the many activities on offer.
Finally, we will go up the mountain and enjoy the breath-taking views from the Gergeti Trinity Church – built in medieval time the church is located on the slope of Mount Kazbek with the Caucus mountains rising in the background. The only cross-cupola church in Khevi, photos of the church and detached bell-tower have become symbols of Georgia, inspiring travelers to from across the world to visit Georgia.
After the tour, we will travel back to Tbilisi.
Your driver will meet you at the hotel lobby for the scheduled transfer to Tbilisi International Airport.
We are looking forward to arrange other vacations for you in the future!
If you would like to extend your journey and visit other parts of Georgia or other countries in the region (Armenia/Azerbaijan) – our specialists will be happy to suggest you an extended itinerary.
|Accommodation||3* hotel||4* hotel|
– Program can be updated as per individual request and budget.
– The tour can be recalculated with a guide/driver as one person and the price of the program will be lower. (Note: Guide/driver isn’t professional certified guide)